Diagnosing Hearing Loss

Hearing loss is diagnosed based on the person’s history, behavior, and the results of an audiological examination. If you are told that nothing can be done about your hearing loss, you should seek a second opinion.

What should I do if I think I have a hearing loss?

See an audiologist for a complete hearing test. You should consult an ear, nose throat specialist (ENT or otolaryngologist) if you are experiencing any of the following:

History of pain, active drainage, or bleeding from an ear.
Sudden onset or rapidly progressive hearing loss.
Acute, chronic, or recurrent episodes of dizziness.
Visualization of blood, pus, cerumen plug, foreign body, or other material in the ear canal.
Unilateral or asymmetric hearing loss

What will I learn?

A full hearing test will tell you the degree and type of hearing loss and help determine if you could benefit from hearing aids. This will include an audiogram. The hearing health professional will recommend what type of hearing aid is best for your hearing loss.

Contact Us Today!

©Michigan Otolaryngology and Facial Plastic Surgery - All Rights Reserved